Thursday, January 24, 2013

Thrown in the Brig

I've finally started to make some headway on my brig. I have the basic coat of paint on it and have started on the rigging.


It is based on a schematic of a Swedish privateer which also helped inspire my choice of colors. This will be a merchantman/pirate. I chose to mount the guns on the deck to give the impression of a converted ship rather than a purpose built warship.

I am currently working on the ratlines which have proven to be much more challenging than I had originally imagined. Obviously I have quite a bit of trimming to do once I get them to my satisfaction.




I will be staining the ropes to a more nautical color and coating them with thinned PVA glue to seal and give them more rigidity.

A look down the deck.

The prow and stern are the sections which still require significant work and paint. There is a fair bit of gilding I would like to do and I want to mount some sort of ornate design on the after cabins  I also need to pain the figurehead and the nameplate.




I also have to clad the stern when my new shipment of timbers comes in.


Finally  a few of the scurvy sea dogs who will be crewing or capturing this vessel.

These are Black Scorpion Able Seamen. I cant say they are my best work but I think once they have proper bases and I can get a second coat of dullcote on them they will do quite nicely.


No comments:

Post a Comment